Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Popcorn Tofu - take 1

One of Hans' all time favorite foods is the popcorn tofu at Wheatsville: http://www.facebook.com/popcorntofu?sid=47835b242b93d424a193ef28b23765f5&ref=search.
He is obviously not the only one who feels this way.

So I decided to try and make it myself. I don't have a deep fryer, but I figured I could get pretty close.

Short version (let me know if you want the more detailed recipe):

Freeze tofu (to get a chewier texture)
Thaw and squeeze moisture out
Soak in vegetable broth and a couple teaspoons of soy sauce
Dip in an egg wash
Coat in a mixture of flour, breadcrumbs, and spices
Fry in very hot vegetable oil
Put on newspaper (preferable a section you don't treasure) to cool and soak up excess oil

Result (served with BBQ sauce, alongside a salad):


Verdict: Good, but more like fried chicken than the famous Popcorn Tofu. Stay tuned for tomorrow's second attempt

3 comments:

  1. Ok so I gotta say I never have even considered tofu until this idea. Now what kinda tofu do you use? Aren't there like three different kinds?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooooh I'll take the fried chicken version!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually use extra firm regular tofu. It has taken me a while to figure out the texture part of tofu. Draining it is key. Freezing it will give it a chewier texture, as will baking it.

    ReplyDelete