Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Day One of Dirt Candy week

What is Dirt Candy? VEGETABLES! I wish I made that up, but it has to be attributed to the vegetarian restaurant in New York...Dirt Candy! http://www.dirtcandynyc.com/

For my birthday, Hans got me the Dirt Candy cookbook. Better yet, it's a graphic memoir cookbook. With vegetarian recipes. http://www.amazon.com/Dirt-Candy-Flavor-Forward-Vegetarian-Restaurant/dp/0307952177/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360818581&sr=8-1&keywords=dirt+candy

So I persuaded Hans to get on board with a week of only vegetarian recipes. Mostly from the Dirt Candy cookbook, but with a few standards, like kale chips.

Day One!

We got our veggie box today, complete with the coveted carrots. So I made Carrot Risotto! Did I also make the carrot dumplings and carrot ribbons? Be serious, obviously not.


I'm just going to be honest here. While I took all the time and love to make a risotto, I did not follow every step. Turns out, to be a respected vegetarian chef, every dish you make must include 667 steps. I did not make carrot broth, I did not use carrot juice, did I mention not making carrot dumplings? However, I did make my own vegetable stock in a beautiful pot inherited from Emily.



Next, I drank a glass of Pinot Noir. Highly recommend.


Finally, lots of stirring, homemade veggie stock, and NPR later...carrot risotto! Rich, filling, and delicious!


Tomorrow, I think I'm going to make a Valentines spread: frozen grapefruit candy, beet chips (cut into hearts?), hummus, kale chips, and some fresh bread. It could be a sight to behold, or it could be a hot mess.

PS - Hans gets to choose the menu for next week. Expect pizza...and pizza...and meat on pizza.


2 comments:

  1. Had some great fried kale on a dish called Yokai Berry at Uchiko on our almost-Valentine's date. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete